Skip to main content

The formula to become Richie Rich "$".....

I (we) had been riding under and over chaotic situations for quite sometime now. Not uncommon! Everybody does. In  fact I had been racking my brain as to how to plan for so many events, responsibilities and commitments in life so that I (we) do not end up crashing into pecuniary problems or demeaning situations. I was checking through all kinds of opportunities for earning, saving and investing etc. I am not a wise shopper. Nor am I a big spendthrift. I may perhaps figure-out somewhere in between these two. Despite having a decent job and a reasonably decent pecuniary footing, I still feel insecure. Comes naturally to females, I guess!
While engrossed in the interplay of such thoughts and regular office work during hot climes of April, my colleague brought me in the freshly arrived bunch of magazines for the month. As a regular practice I browsed through the magazines and chose Reader's Digest for a detailed reading. In that issue, an article by David Hochman particularly caught my attention - My Family's No Buy Experiment (read April issue of RD for full article) on how Hochman family cuts spending. He gives a detailed account of how they targeted a 30-day experiment of not spending an extra pie apart from the 'must-spends' viz., mortgages, loans, utilities, tuition fee etc. And they did it. At some instances he did sound impractical to me, yet, I owe them to the geographical, social and cultural differences. Though I may not be able to follow exactly what the Hochmans did, his experience did influence me. It is not that his concept is something new. Not at all, especially in an Indian setting. I grew up lending my ears and senses to such types of preachings and preachers as well as strict followers. Honestly, I did not relish them. But as a matter of fact, often, in times of adversities, we tend to either forget or overlook the obvious. Hochman's article touched and awoke my dormant intellect. I wondered why I did not think of taking simple yet promising measures to overcome the difficult times? Why not I take baby steps instead of thinking in terms of leaps and bounds, or wait for some miracle to happen? I, somehow, now liked the idea of cutting on my (our) spending and started thinking actively about different ways to conserve and curb my expenses. No sooner did I start pushing myself towards the pious deeds, I started smelling sweet success, step by step.
Ofcourse, I cautioned myself that I should not overdo. Almost about same time, Khushwant Singh's Eight Clues to Happiness caught my attention too. I'm taking his clues seriously and trying to work on them. But the highlight at the end of his this piece of wisdom is, he says, RICHNESS is not Earning More, Spending More Or Saving More, but … “RICHNESS IS WHEN YOU NEED NO MORE”. I am hopeful that I (we) will certainly say that WE NEED NO MORE, one day!

Comments

  1. ą°²ేą°Øిą°¦ాą°Øిą°Øి ą°øాą°§ింą°šą°”ం ą°µą°²్ą°² ą°•ą°²ిą°—ే ą°†ą°Øంą°¦ాą°Øిą°•ి ą°…ą°²్ą°Ŗాą°Æుą°·్ą°·ు
    ą°…ą°–్ą°–ą°°్ą°²ేą°Øిą°¦ాą°Ø్ą°Øి ą°µą°¦ిą°²ింą°šుą°•ోą°µą°”ం ą°µą°²్ą°² ą°•ą°²ిą°—ే ą°†ą°Øంą°¦ాą°Øిą°•ి ą°¦ీą°°్ą°˜ాą°Æుą°·్ą°·ు

    That is what one of my friends said. His blog is at http://naagola.wordpress.com

    I liked this post, Kshema. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vinay!
    Learning valuable lessons of life :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone