Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 11)


--- 1 ---

This week has been a roller coaster ride of good, bad and the busy feelings at work. Home has complemented with comfort and care. Post rains, my small garden is blooming. I could click some good pictures too.





--- 2 ---

Act of Random Kindness

We all face difficult situations every now and then; caused by someone, unfortunately having unpleasant feelings towards us, whatever may be the reason. It makes us think, why, when we are not causing any harm to them or to their kin, are they so rude and unkind to us. This week has bestowed upon me an opportunity to experience someone's unkind attitude towards me. Yes, bestowed, I am saying because, the incident provoked me to think. Initially I was very agitated, restless and angry also. I must mention here that I have started to feel that my intuitive power has really picked up over the past few years. I have been feeling very uncomfortable for two days before this incident happened. When I figured out the reason, I was very annoyed for the injustice done to me. It took me one complete day to calm down, think and regain my composure. Once the mind calms down, then only we can think of a proper strategy to tackle the problem or address the issue in an effective manner. I remembered the movie Evan Almighty and the "Act of Random Kindness - ARK". Not just this concept but also the fact that we should pray for strength and endurance from God to address our problems; and not pray for removal of the problem.



This time I prayed like this little boy. I prayed God to grant kindness to them who have hurt me; to grant strength to me to make them see what is right; to grant wisdom to them to take correct steps. Let's see how it works :)



--- 3 ---

An unexpected guest

Middle of the week, one night, we had an unexpected guest. We were watching the TV and were yet to have dinner. Our neighbour brought in this totally unexpected but most adorable guest (I suppose). He was such a delight! So small was he that he was barely able to walk on our smooth floor. Tip toeing from one chair to another, and under the table, he was a riot! After inspecting our home, we offered food/drink to him. Looks like he liked it all. Satisfactorily, he then fell asleep. We just could not stop ourselves from cooing, musing and wondering at his charm! Any guesses, who was he?

O mister! May I sleep in your home tonight?
Yes, he as an absolute delight! Well, our routine does not permit us to the luxury of keeping him with us. Therefore, the guest had to leave. But those couple of hours brightened our entire week :)



--- 4 ---

This week's recipe

The humble curry leaves in my small garden
Last week we talked about sesame seeds. This week I have fresh curry leaves for you! As I said, my garden is blooming. Curry leaves are very popular herb in India, specially in southern states, so much so that they form an integral part of traditional cooking. South Indians consider many dishes incomplete without the tempering of curry leaves. They are added to almost all foods like curries, stews, soups, dals, upma, poha, rice based dishes etc. and many more. They are called as "karivepakulu" in Telugu and known as "kadi patta" or "meetha neem" in Hindi. I am told they provide huge health benefits, specially for diabetics; for curing diarrhoea; for strengthening hair roots and preventing premature hair greying; cholesterol control; better eye sight; liver health, etc. Apart from tempering, we are huge fans of "karivepaku karam podi" prepared in Andhra. This is a powder made by roasting the curry leaves and mixing a few kinds of dals and seasoning. The recipe for preparing "karivepaku karam podi" can found on Sailu's food blog. For those who would like to see the video, this youtube video is a nice demonstration, step by step. This powder can be liberally used for finishing curries, with idli, dosa, upma and even on buttered bread toast. The Andhrites generally find it best with steamed rice and a dollop of clarified butter.



--- 5 ---

This week's book

This week I am back with "The Dalai Lama's Cat" by David Michie. Finally I resolved to read it on Saturday. What a wonderful narrative it is!! I can say it was really "unputdownable" for me. Though it is a novel, the author has very lucidly sprinkled the entire work with simple yet profound truths of life. Although they are Buddhist teachings, I will not limit them to that religion. They are universally applicable and practicable. The language is simple and the narrative, I must say, has grabbed me and strapped me to my reading chair throughout the day. Finally I finished it by night. I felt reassured of whatever I have been reading about peace of mind, calmness, mindfulness, meditation etc. I am recommending this book to everyone. Not limiting it to any age group.




--- 6 ---

This week's song

I received a request from one of my known faculties for copy of a book chapter. The faculty is researching on music and consciousness. The book is "Music and Consciousness: Philosophical, Psychological, and Cultural Perspectives" edited by Prof. David I. Clarke of New Castle University. As I checked for the details I myself got interested in the content of the chapter. The chapter is "North Indian classical music and its links with consciousness: the case of Dhrupad". Dhrupad is known to cultivate deep meditative states in us. And Gundecha Brothers from Bhopal are very popular for this style of North Indian Classical Music. It has been a very informative and interesting experience scouting this chapter. I remembered that Ramakrishna Aaratrikam, the evening hymn/prayer sung at the Ramakrishna Math or Belur Math is performed in Dhrupad style. As a child I used to listen to it when my uncle used to take me to Ramakrishna Math in Hyderabad. I enjoyed the divine rendition and peacefulness of the place. The task of searching for the book chapter gave me an opportunity to re-listen to the prayer again. It basically praises the glory of Lord Shiva. 




The tabla rendition is out of this world! The entire prayer itself is truly divine and instantly transcends us higher!! I hope you will enjoy too.



--- 7 ---

A new section on Friday Quick Takes

As we all grow, through various stages, right from childhood onward, we gather several different experiences. Based on which we form opinions and take decisions. I often share most of my experiences of childhood with my daughter and also with my husband. When they saw that I have good numbers of them to narrate to them, they suggested that I document them. Not a bad idea! Most of them are funny and have a moral too. After mulling for a while, I have intended to include them as a part of my Friday Quick Takes, one each at a time. We will start with this new section, hopefully from next week.

Have a great weekend and stay tuned :)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong?

It has been a few months that I bought this book - Essentialism by Greg McKeown . I found the book very realistic and baring the naked truth of my life in my face. But could not get even half way through it... as usual, got distracted with the non-essentials in my, after all, plain Jane life. I hate to say this but my life is mundanely simple. There are no excitements, no yahoo moments, not much of travel, no great social connect either. But I do have a bunch of good friends. Interestingly, I have picked up good friends in all walks of my life. I am neither a chatty kind nor a monk. And, am happy for the fact that my friends do not hate me. I do not offer opinions and advises, unless specifically asked for. Nor do I criticize anybody 'coz I do not know what the other person is/was caught up in. In a nutshell, I do not waste my energy on this stuff. And, I am meticulous in whatever work I am given to do. These are a few things that I am proud of. Well, coming back to the book in re...

Ubuntu does the magic again!

My mother is on visit to my place. She is here for a week. Yesterday, I thought of showing her a Telugu movie, so that, in this hot summer (Jodhpur is scorchy already), we can all relax under the luxury of the ac and savour some delicacies made by my mom. 'Having fun' while watching that movie was ofcourse high on agenda, however, the Indo-Pak cricket semifinal was unmissable though! However, to my utter dismay I figured out that I had misplaced that favourite Telugu movie CD. Now what? I was determined to show [or see ;)] that movie. I put the movie on download and went back to watch the match. The computer took its own sweet time to oblige my request, but it did. The movie was in .rm format i.e., real media format. That means I can watch it only on a PC. Sigh! Then? I saved the movie onto a flash drive and tried to connect my laptop to my LCD TV and also external speakers as the original sound quality was poor :( I did not find the appropriate connecter. Sigh again! What ne...

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir...