Skip to main content

The hazy me

My darling (only) daughter took her class X CBSE board exams and successfully completed them on March 26, 2012. Now it was my duty to find her a good pastime until her school reopens and she moves into class XI. Usually in the CBSE system schools reopen after a brief break in the academic session, roughly around the mid-month of April and close for summer vacations in mid-May. Since she is moving from class X to class XI where you expect new students to join and some old ones to leave for other boards or junior colleges, we presumed that not much activity will take place in school during this period of April-May. After a bit of research we came to a discussion point that she should explore learning of a foreign language in this summer break. Since there are no such facilities in the place we live (Jodhpur), the nearest and convenient place for her would be Ahmedabad where she can be put up in my uncle's place. We found out that the Alliance Francaise centre at Ahmedabad runs French language programmes and the most suitable ones would be levels A1 followed by A2. As parents we thought this was a very good option and she can conveniently complete both the levels by the end of June to rejoin her school in July. After some initial resistance, my daughter agreed to go there and enroll herself for the programme. This was the first time she was leaving home and that too for such a long period - 3 months!! Thankfully she has some good friends in Ahmedabad as that is a place we frequently visit. Somehow we got her admitted into the programme and managed to set up local transportation and other facilities.

In my undergraduate programme I studied French for two years along with Maths, Physics, Computer Science and English. So I can read and understand French to some extent. This was one of the motivators for us to choose French against German or Spanish for her. In a few days she started texting to me small sentences in French, for which I am happy :) But living in another place, different to our own home is difficult. I understand. As a kid I used to go and spend every summer in my grand parents home, a remote village in Andhra Pradesh. I enjoyed it a lot. As a kid I had many friends too (real ones!!). But present day kids somehow do not have these privileges. I call them privileges because grandparents and their homes have now become a premium commodity. Over times, I see that today's grandparents have their ways of life, preference and priorities too. Nothing wrong, infact I appreciate their independence. But the freedom and a kind of "right" I used to exercise with my grandparents and the warmth they used to provide by way of their small yet wonderful gestures like feeding us with several varieties of foods, delicacies and savouries, taking us on a ride across the lakes, into the paddy fields, to the local circus and temples, getting new clothes stitched for us etc. are a rare sight now. Now all that I see is kids talking to their immediate family members over mobiles, that too when the mother or father prompts them to do so. Otherwise they are in their "wired (wierd) world" with their virtual friends. Why accuse them? Until some relative pokes, my mother-in-law herself forgets to inquire about her grand daughter. Thank God! my parents still keep talking to my daughter every day even if they do not find time to talk to me!! As a result I think today's kids are not used to adjusting with different kinds of people, their mentalities and behaviours. Every thing is "urgh!!!! or aarrgh!!!" for them. Immediate response to any of your explanations is "please maa.......now you don't start off".

If this is one hand, on the other is difficult human relations. How to be unaffected or detached though being affected/impacted by whatever happens with the people we are involved with? Big question! Myself and my husband used to have and still have long long discussions and debates about this topic. Never are we tired of introspecting and retrospecting our deeds, mistakes, accomplishments and relationships. We keep reading new things and keep discussing and inferring things :) Recently we read an interesting article written by the Principal of DPS Jodhpur on parenting styles where he talks about permissive parents, authoritarian parents and authoritative parents. After reading that we concluded that we are authoritarian parents that allow their children to be independent and grow into responsible citizens by carefully guiding them, giving them freedom where needed and exercising authority when required.

When my daughter started communicating continuously her grief saga about how and why she does not want to continue level A2 there, I listened patiently for a few days and attempted offering my piece of brain to her. But one day I had to say "enough!". Silence ruled between us for a little more than 24 hours. Then I assumed my role of a typical authoritative mother and dictated my terms to her. After a few days normalcy got restored naturally. Last night I communicated to her that her taking the next level of language course was not unimportant to me, however that was not primary also for me. What is of primary importance to me was that she learns to live with different people, different mind sets, behaviours. She is at that tender age where she can be trained to be developed into a good, intelligent and a wise human being. After all where she is staying is our immediate family and her own friends whom she likes very much. She has to learn to accept people as they are. Learn to discriminate between right and wrong; good and bad; positive and negative. After all these are the basic elements our life is made of. She also has to learn about mindful spending that too all by herself. Most importantly she has to learn how to be unaffected by the happenings in her surroundings and concentrate on reaching her target. I always offer two questions to anyone who comes up with human relations related or similar issues - first, can you exercise your control over the situation or influence it? second, how directly or indirectly does that particular issue affect you or impact or influence you? If you can answer these questions, you will find your way. This is what I call 'being detached while being participative'. As I am trying to practice this art, so I am trying to teach my child too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone