Skip to main content

Simple pleasures of life

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things


Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things


Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things


When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad"
(Source: Sound of Music)

This song reminds me of those simple things which we often tend to forget amidst our fast-paced lifestyle. We all run different races every day, every hour in our lives. Personal, professional, social races. Each with a different target, different pace, different style and strategy. Our minds are so pre-occupied with their ideas that we fail to take note of the small yet precious things around us. This song impressed me so much that it prompted me to remember all those simple things that I derive pleasure from and I started writing them down.

Walking bare foot on green grass gently covered with dew;
Sipping morning tea with newspaper in garden every morning;
Long evening walks and discussions with my soul-mate in winters;
Enjoying the sweet smell of "Night Queen" outside bedroom window.

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee;
Watching the moving clouds and imagining pictures;
Plucking jasmines every evening; 
Making garlands of flowers.

To see my mom clad in a beautiful white cotton sari and hug her tight;
Rest my head in her lap and forget everything;
Listen to her talk, lullabies and poems;
Lie on my stomach like a baby and fall asleep.

Singing together with my daughter, and singing with her on tabla/guitar.
Covering her new books with brown papers and labels, and smelling them;
Yoga and dancing with my daughter;
Making sandwiches for her.


Watching "Padamati Sandhyaragam" and "HumTum";
Television soaps like "Bade Acche Lagte Hain";
Teletubbies and In the night garden;
Watching all of them with my family and discussing amidst comments and laughter.

Random painting and embroidery;
Penning my thoughts and observations;
Playing snakes n ladders;
Ans also carroms and magic vines;

Cooking simple vegetables;
Growing vegetable garden;
Having roses and poises in my garden.
Growing herbs in pots on kitchen window sill;

Stitching lacy white curtains for the bedroom windows;
And checkered curtains for kitchen and dining.
Browsing through lifestyle and interiors magazines over and over;
Musing and believing "Shopping is therapeutic".

Enjoying a good read with fritters and hot tea, and watching it rain from a window;
Chatting with friends and exchanging recipes;
Laughing together endlessly for "no obvious reason" while talking with friends;
Win a game of badminton.


These are a few of my favorite things...........................but,


When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad


I simply have to learn to remember my favorite things
And then I won't feel so bad!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone