Skip to main content

Under the Banyan Tree

“If we practice looking deeply we see that our notion of happiness may be responsible for our suffering. That is why the Buddha advises us to look again deeply into the nature of our desires. We suffer just because of them.” Thich Nhat Hanh, Under the Banyan Tree.


I was bestowed upon the title of a banyan tree today. I do not know if the title bestower considers himself as the seed or sapling that is trying to germinate and grow. Also, I do not know what is the point that the title bestower is trying to make. Let me try to make an attempt to understand what the title bestower is trying to communicate.

 

Let us, for the sake of this conversation, believe that I am a tree. Traversing back in time, I recall, I was brought to this place as a mid-sized plant. I was planted and expected to grow with time and deliver results of blooming and fruition. Whether I grew strong or not, only time and the people who saw me can say. I tried my level best to utilize all the resources and opportunities to nourish my embodied self and my surroundings. With time I saw new saplings around me, of the same species. I was under the impression that together we are meeting the expectations of blooming and fruition. As an older plant would sway and glance at the younger plants, with affection and pride, I thought I was doing the same. Little did I know that the thought process of the younger plants is different than mine and it is called generation gap. I recall, together we saw different kinds of times. Time when the younger plants were checked if they were fit enough to stay in the piece of land where they were planted. Time when sun shone bright and we would rejoice in the fresh air. Time when the land dried up and we had to struggle to nourish ourselves. Time when dark clouds loomed over us indicating rain and thunder. Time when strong winds blew making us shudder with fright of uprooting. We withstood the stormy times and blazing summers too. Where and when required, I found myself bending here and there to cast shade on the younger plants, so that they can feel secured. I thought we were happy in our own small piece of land, enjoying the democracy and unison. The often-heard comments from the passers-by – “What a cute little patch of plants, all happy and gay” – did make us feel proud. I place an emphasis on “us”, because I genuinely believed in us. It was never me for me. It was always them first and then me. Owners of the land changed. Gardeners came and went. But I always maintained that special bond with all gardeners. Always boasted about the dynamism and energy of the younger plants and took pride in their majestically pleasing disposition. Birds of various kinds devoured on our fruit, but seldom had we heard the birds coo away angrily. Oft times the birds came back to make friends with us. However be the time, good, bad or worse, we did not stop offering our fruit to anybody. For me the bottom line is always – a tree laden with fruits always remains humble and so also its roots grow stronger and deeper with time. Little did I know that the younger plants wished to be replanted elsewhere. How would I know? And what could I do, even if I came to know their thoughts and wishes. Just like them I was also brought and planted here. It is just that I was planted before them and I was already a mid-grown tree when I was brought here for planting. Once again I bring in here my concepts of Circle of Control, Circle of Influence and Circle of Concern, that I often advise about to my near and dear. I am questioning myself – can I control the people and situations? Can I influence the people and situations? Do the people and situations concern me? If yes, in what way? I am trying to answer them one by one with a NO for the answer. I can exercise all my might for controlling, influencing myself and being concerned only with myself but not for or about anybody else.

 

Coming back to the bestowing of the title of banyan tree – the point that the bestower of the title is trying make gets rendered as invalid. For one, if I am considered a banyan tree – “the growth-stopper of young trees”, the possibility of any seedling germinating on the ground under the banyan tree or in its vicinity is a near-zero; even if it does, it is unlikely to survive, forget about stunting its growth. The younger plants were brought here as young tender saplings. They are not the seedlings that fell off the banyan fruit. Secondly, keeping up with the concept of being a tree, I would consider myself as a moringa tree and not a banyan tree, for obvious reasons. Let us quickly look up - “Moringa oleifera is a fast-growing, drought-resistant tree of the family Moringaceae, native to the Indian subcontinent. The moringa tree is grown mainly in semiarid, tropical, and subtropical areas… Moringa is a sun- and heat-loving plant, and does not tolerate freezing or frost. Moringa is particularly suitable for dry regions, as it can be grown using rainwater without expensive irrigation techniques.” [Source: Wikipedia]. It can be cultivated for its leaves, seed pods, fruit pods for edible reasons, and its kernels for oil extraction and water purification. Besides, moringa trees have been used to combat malnutrition, especially among infants and nursing mothers. Let us now draw parallels. I firmly believe that I have and will continue to thrive in dry, arid and semi-arid conditions. Not only have I always pushed my domain-specific boundaries afar to serve better but many times pushed through those boundaries to serve in areas other than my own with equal ease and expertise. And I continue to do that. So I will stand tall like a moringa tree. By virtue of being a librarian I proudly brand myself as moringa because I help combat the malnutrition of knowledge, especially among students (infants) and teachers (nursing mothers). I am glad that I am a librarian. A moringa tree. And a moringa tree never behaves like a banyan tree. It cannot, even if it wants to. Therefore, it is time to realize for the younger plants that they are all independent in their own fate. They can continue to grow where they are or adorn another garden, choice is entirely theirs. Neither the roots of the trees in a patch nor their branches interfere or intertwine among each other. Every tree is independent in its own might. It is the notion of its happiness that causes elation or suffering to it. Therefore, my dear readers, let us look deeply into our desires and figure it out for ourselves.

 

May wisdom prevail on you and peace be with you! 


Courtesy: Google Image

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone