Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 15)


--- 1 ---

Oh! What a week it was! Similar to a roller coaster ride. Started the week in a freshly white washed and reorganized home. Commemorated 18 years of togetherness with my life partner on Tuesday; dined out and watched "Satyagraha" movie, good one by Prakash Jha. Wednesday to Friday were like riding a supersonic jet, which ended with my winning presentation at office. Friday night, all of sudden, I felt a strange void. This is what happens when we prepare rigorously for something and complete it successfully; after which we feel a vacuum. Was supposed to roll out this post on Friday evening as usual. But I was so tired that I did not know for how long I slept after reaching home. Missed the launch of KBC 7 too!


--- 2 ---

Marriage is an institution 

We spent good 18 years together. I say "good" though most times were uncomfortable and unpleasant, just dotted with a few ecstatic moments. We made mistakes together, some could be rectified while some others could not be. We have had heated arguments, unpredicted behaviours, emotional breakdowns, impulsive and opinionated decisions leading to irreparable losses that left deep scars on our minds and hearts. Yet, when I stand still and think, I feel we are so much used to each other that we cannot think of even a single moment without each other. When either of us leaves station even for a single day, we call each other a hundred times, just to feel the assurance of belongingness and togetherness. I partnered with him early in my life. As individuals we both are completely different from each other; "exact opposites in every sense" may be a right phrase. But they say "opposites attract", isn't it? In some sense I can say I grew up, as a person, with him. Although I believed in my individually specific principles, each day I spent with him gave me an opportunity to evolve only into a better person. After 18 years of togetherness what I realize is, although we have tried very hard to change for each other, we still retain our originality. We have, definitely, learnt a lot of worldly lessons, but we have neither changed for each other nor for anyone else; rather became only stronger with time. Therefore, I can say he is an indispensable part of me, as though he's my touchstone.


--- 3 ---

The Kitchen Gardens

Kitchen garden is one essential element in every home I consider. Be it a small or large kitchen, some herbs can definitely be planted. Tulsi (Holy basil), hara dhaniya (coriander or cilantro), kadi patta (curry leaves), pudina (mint), methi (fenugreek) can be easily grown even in small pots, bottles etc. These are daily use herbs that can be maintained on a window sill also. Besides these one can plant varieties of spinach, onion bulbs that would yield spring onion sprigs, turnips too in small spaces. Moreover having greens inside the home renders soothing look to the home. Landscaping for kitchen garden is an interesting task. I've picked up some intriguing pictures from the Internet to derive ideas.


If you have some garden space then tomatoes and aubergines (egg plants/brinjals) can also be grown. I am going to re-plant the herbs this month. Thinking of going for coriander and fenugreek.


--- 4 --- 
The wild raga!

I had been a very mischievous and inquisitive child. My first and foremost reaction to any sentence spoken to me was – “why”. My family was seldom successful in quenching my inquisitive thirst and they labeled me “troublesome”. I was in 4th grade, just about 10 years old. It was rainy season. The house we were residing in had some earthing problem and the damp walls started to give out electric shocks. My dad and uncle were trying to resolve the issue. Being a restless child, I started jumping around; for some time I troubled them with my questions while they were trouble shooting, and then started jumping and dancing around in the house, doing just the opposite of what has been warned against, i.e., playing touch with the walls. Dad warned me softly a couple of times, and then shouted at me. I was in no mood to pay any heed to him. Experiencing a mild shock I cried out loud. My uncle lost his temper and slapped me for my stupid act. Totally not expecting the slap, I cried real loud and long. All the family members were now on the job of shushing me. Little did I realize that he slapped me out of his concern and love for me, until my dad explained to me with a bowl of marshmallows as compensation. I remember my paternal grandmother frequently instructing every family member against annoying me. She used to tell them, “please do not upset or annoy her, otherwise she will start off and will not stop crying until she falls asleep”. Moreover I was learning to sing classical then. The moment they smelt that I would cry, they would all plead “child, why don’t you sing a good raga (tune) instead of crying wild”!

--- 5 ---

This week's recipe

Modak
Its "Ganesh Chaturthi" time. This year it is on 9 Sep, i.e., Monday. I have a special liking for the Elephant God! The festival is best celebrated in Maharashtra. "Modak" is a special sweet offering prepared during this festive time. It is a typical Maharashtrian dish. These steamed sweet dumplings are filled with jaggery and coconut. Generally the process is a bit long. But Dassana of Veg Recipes of India has come up with a super easy process with semolina; and we have decided to make them on Monday. I remember my grandmother used to bring home Ganesha idol every year and make us to observe the rituals, almost until I was 12. In Southern Indian states, the freshly made mud idol is considered as the purest and brought home on the morning of the festival day. It is installed on a specially made pedestal decorated with a dome made of flowers and leaves. The festive offerings are a bit different to that offered in Maharashtra. The children at home are advised to keep their school books at the altar to seek blessings of Lord Ganesha in their studies. After puja rituals, the eldest of the household narrates the story of Lord Ganesha to the kids.



--- 6 ---

This week's article


It is "Ganesh Chaturthi" time and the point of discussion is focused on the same. Though I am not a ritualistic person and do not perform any of them, I do like some mythologies and symbolism. Symbolism of Ganesh is one which I like the most. It offers a lot that can be applied in our daily lives.



The way this picture explains each element, we can apply them as it is in our day-to-day lives and be happy. I feel this explanation has nothing to do with any specific religion or deity but can be universally applied. It only teaches us good, bad and the balancing act in our lives. Came across one such book by Devdutt Pattanaik who writes on myth and mythology through his art - "99 Thoughts of Ganesh". Thinking of ordering one for myself as it seems to be interesting. Will share my views once I read it. More info on Ganesha by Vikram Kharvi that I stumbled upon, lovely blog!


--- 7 ---


This week's song 

It has to be definitely on Ganesha! The most tranquil and powerfully rendered one by none other than Shankar Mahadevan.




Wishing you all a very happy Ganesh Chaturthi!!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

  1. I loved your candidness and courage that must have gone in writing the item no.2!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone