Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 20)


--- 1 ---

This week, though it has been calm at work place due to Dusshera holidays, I had been too tied up with work. So much occupied that I had been going home late almost every day. Still I think there's a lot more to do.


--- 2 ---

The older I grow in age, the younger I feel at heart!

Yes, I am one less to step into forties today. Just cannot believe this figure! At times I feel I still act childish. Last night when my family wished me, the first thing that caught my attention was a banana lying on the dining table. Bananas were my life saviours itseems, my dad quips. As an infant I refused to have milk and food. Due to their not so good financial condition, my parents could not afford rich food for me. But they soon found out that I was liking bananas. They used to feed me with this humble fruit and I survived. But to my misfortune, I had to give up my choicest food upon developing high blood sugar levels. But last night I did indulge in the world's greatest luxury (for me), devouring a banana. My angel daughter played a prank of recording me do this. I was annoyed for a while but when she replayed the video I felt I still cherish the child inside me.


--- 3 ---

"God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well."
-- Voltaire 

Yes, I agree. I thank God for this life and I would certainly like to lead my life well. For different people, the meaning of the word "well" differs, with time and circumstances. For me also it has transformed over so many years. When I introspected and retrospected the time until now, I could roughly identify chunks of ten years each in the entire period that held some kind of priorities. If academics were my priority till I graduated, then fulfilling my partner's dreams were my priority in my twenties; followed by community service and my job, which I construed as an extension of the community activity due to the workplace I was in, became my priority. Thirties saw my priorities drifting slowly towards my child. She became the centre of all my activities and reason for my choices and the decisions that I took. It also lead to a positive change in my professional and official life. I wonder what the forties have in store for me as a decan of changed/renewed priority. I have certainly lived well until now. Tried to include all aspects of living well in my life. But there is still much more to life. If time permits, I would like to include things like caring more for my health and myself, doing those things that I like and could not do until now for certain reasons, undertaking short trips to some good places, writing more etc.
 

--- 4 --- 

The birthday gift

As a child I was very fond of celebrating my birthday. Like any other kid I was also excited about gifts. Dad bought me many toys in my childhood. Growing up, I used to ask him, well before my birthday, about what present he would give me for my coming birthday. He used to laugh it off. One year, I remember, I pestered him for gift very much and I stood at the gate waiting for him to arrive from office thinking that he would certainly bring" me a gift. I lingered around him till late evening and kept on troubling him. Finally he got up, went inside and brought a pair of keys and gave it to me and said "here's your gift". I did not understand. I knew that they looked like the scooter keys. Bewildered, I asked him what they were and why they are my gift. He said, "these are the spare keys of my scooter; you can have my scooter as your birthday gift." I did not know to ride a scooter then. Another year he made a small musical instrument with the musical door bell circuit and fixed it inside a plastic box of name cards with a push button that would produce musical tones one after the other. That was my birthday gift. Could never really understand him and his gifts. Today when he asked me what I wanted, I had no answer. I told him I have everything. What I could not say is at their age, they themselves as healthy, satisfied and happy parents are a gift to their children!


--- 5 ---

This week's recipe

This week I need suggestions for making my otherwise bland food interesting. I am tired of eating the same roti-subzi-dal. I cannot expect my cooking help to experiment. Thinking of giving her an off for some time. I perspire a lot. Due to this problem, I do not venture into kitchen much, except for weekends. The place we stay is also hot for ten months almost. Winters last for a couple of months, hardly. Thinking of changing the dinner menu to single item preparations. Easy, less time consuming, healthy, vegetarian recipes are welcome.


--- 6 ---

This week's book(s)

Being a librarian I am supposed to be surrounded by books. I am indeed. My colleague's absence has transferred almost all of his work to me. I did try to take a peek into his work - technical processing of new books that arrived in my library. But because of multifarious nature of my work, I could not yet justify that piece of job. Presently my table is full of books; most of them on engineering subjects, but some on psychology and cognition. From their covers and titles, they looked like they would hold my interest. Let's see if I can do something in the coming week.


--- 7 ---


This week's media clip 

Glenn Medeiros! His one song that I have been listening to since years. Very lovely.



Have happy weekend & stay tuned!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone