Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 21)


--- 1 ---

Its been two weeks and I could not post. Some jobs to be completed and deadlines to be met. Well, its the starting of Diwali week. Looking forward to a joyful time with family.


--- 2 ---

Festival of lights!

Diwali, Deepavali is here again. The festival of brightness, colourful fireworks, zest and fervour! Loads of fun and sweets. Though I am not a big fan of fireworks, I like to light up my home and surroundings. The climate also turns pleasant. Chirpy atmosphere everywhere. People buying new things for their homes, new clothes, lit up faces..... eye candy!


Today is the first day of the festival. Dhanteras or Dhana Trayodashi or Dhanvatari Trayodashi, as we call. This day is auspiciously marked for purchase of gold, silver, or an asset etc. This significance is mostly visible in northern parts of India. This day is followed by Naraka Chaturdasi or Choti Diwali. It is the day when Satyabhama, one of the worthy consorts of Lord Krishna slayed the demon king Narakasura. This is also the day when the city of Ayodhya was all lit up welcoming home King Rama after the forest-dwelling period of 14 years and slaying Ravana, bringing back Sita. Well, there are so many legends and myths intertwined with this festival. For us, it is the brightness and happiness that develops positiveness in us.


--- 3 ---

“I think all of us are always five years old in the presence and absence of our parents.” 
― Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian


It may be true, but sometimes. But, looks like my parents believe every word of it, seriously! My parents visited us last Diwali. This year also they are visiting us on Diwali. Looking forward to hearing my dad's favourite anecdotes, quips and cliches like "primitive thinking and advanced nonsense". He still considers me a five-year old! Why just me? Me, my sister, my brother and also my daughter, all in a row. Yet, its fun!


--- 4 --- 

This Diwali "Liva-vati meets Brio-kaur"!

When my sister and brother-in-law bought their first car Honda Brio, I christened it "Brio-kaur". Today when I got my new car Toyota Etios Liva, my brother-in-law christened it "Liva-vati" and said now the two cars are sisters, just like us sisters. Why not, both of them are silver in colour too! My first ride Maruti Suzuki 800 served a good ten years without a single snag. As always, after an extensive research and a lot of test drives, we zeroed on Liva. Its awesome! When I suggested my mom to adopt my first ride and informed her of our new car's "name", she immediately said, now think of a name for our car too! Any suggestions? "Maruti-_________"?


--- 5 ---

Deepavali in my childhood

My granny being the matriarch of the house, used to ensure that all festivals are celebrated in traditionally perfect manner. Deepavali was one such festival for us. For me festivals always meant new clothes and special dishes for lunch and dinner. She used to start preparations well ahead of time. Purchasing new earthen "diyas" was every year tradition. Then they were to be soaked in water for a couple of days. Sweets and savoury preparation was a week-long exercise. Canisters filled with such sweets and savouries lasting for the next whole month was a treat for me. On one Deepavali we actually made some fireworks at home. That year we had an enthused neighbour who excitedly brought all the necessary ingredients for preparing noiseless sparklers. My paternal uncles and our neighbour managed to make a few hundreds of them and distributed them equally in the entire household. It was fun! On the day before actual Deepavali i.e., on Naraka Chaturdasi granny used to wake me up early morning and get me ready. On Deepavali evening we used to wear new clothes and exchange sweets and savouries in the neighbourhood. After about 6 in the evening, granny used to light diyas and make us to arrange them everywhere in and around the house. Then for early dinner with all the delicacies specially made for the festive occasion; followed by change of dress into something cottony and heading for fireworks session - the most awaited session of the festival! We used to crack fireworks late until midnight. Well, crackers were much cheaper then. And also much less noisy too. May be that I am used to having elders around me always, I think festivals feel more complete with the presence of elders, kith and kin.

Then there was a local tradition of Andhra, she used to bring a few sprigs of "gongura", a sort of sour edible leaves, tie them with a strip of cotton cloth and light that cloth with oil and fire; then the child at home has to beat it on floor at the entrance of the house uttering about Deepavali and forthcoming Nagula Chavithi, the snake festival. That beating was fun! 



--- 6 ---

This week's recipe

Looking for some really simple vegetarian recipes for cooking mushrooms. I am told they are very good for health. Will share once I find.


--- 7 ---


This week's song

Deepavali theme song! I love this song from an old Telugu film, Vichitra Bandham (meaning "strange relationship).


The song says, "An admixture of darkness and brightness is life, which is like Deepavali". So true!

Wishing you all a very happy and prosperous Deepavali!!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone