Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 8)


--- 1 ---

A typical mid-July week. Not very humid but not cool also. A couple of drizzles here and there as if the rain Gods are testing their sprinklers :)



               


These are the pictures of some bougainvilleas in our academic campus. I could get a chance to click on a particularly cloudy day when the power went off and we could step out for a while.



--- 2 ---

We were watching a regional movie and I caught this phrase "attached detachment". Was wondering what it could be? Either you are attached or not attached - to a particular person, event, thing, sentiment, emotion etc. Does being "not attached" and "detached" one and the same? And also is the phrase "attached detachment" right? Or should be "detached attachment"? Or do both phrases exist and mean something? If so, what do they mean and how do they differ? Curious to understand more I explored some resources.

The phrase itself seems to be paradoxical in nature! Does it juxtapose both words? While the literal meaning of attachment is a feeling of affection for a person or an institution; that of detachment is avoiding emotional attachment. Detachment can also be the act of breaking-free, disengage, insulate, separate, withdraw, isolate, disconnect, etc. in a synonymous sense. But "not attached" just means not attached at all. Does it mean not growing/developing any affection, attraction, attachment towards something at all? It is not the same as detachment, I think. If we are to detach, first we have to attach also. It means in order to develop detachment, one has to experience the feeling of attachment first. By attached detachment or detached attachment do we mean having controlled amount of attachment? This appears to be relating to the Karma principle of the Bhagavadgita. Simply do your duty and do not be bothered about the result; or do not have any expectations. It means that our acts should not be driven by some expectation of a predicted result or presumptions; instead we should enjoy the process of our actions and not the feeling of its result. I may not be wrong if I may interpret it as - the journey is what is important and should be enjoyed and not the destination.

Source: www.dharmacomics.com
The topic is very interesting to me and appears as if we can go on and on on this dualism. I got some stuff about this phrase here, here and here. I liked the interpretation given in there. Well,  I do not know if I could understand well; so the doodle explains me and my state of mind...... to be or not be........ (attached?) ;)

--- 3 ---
This week's recipe



Deepak Jhakal, a co-foodie maintains a delicious blog "Mouthfuls from Jhakal" and posts easy-peasy veggie recipes often. I have been following his blog for some time now and found a real quickie this week "Cheese Corn Balls".



happy corn cheese balls :D

Thanks Deepak!!


--- 4 ---
This week's book(s)

This week I have three books in hand. My daughter has completed reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch; now engrossed in "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom. I am reading Sudha Murthy's "The day I stopped drinking milk". All three books are absolutely unputdownable!!

I watched Randy Pausch's video a few years ago. Who would not fear death! But sometimes it is worth realizing that one can do many many things, not simply cherish but can also fulfill the dreams one had envisioned, only if one can resolute to.

Albom and Murthy have both joined my library list :)



--- 5 ---
This week's song

Perhaps it is the after-effect of Anand movie that I watched a few days ago, that I have been crooning Rajesh Khanna starred or Kishore Kumar sung songs for a while now. This one from the movie Aap ki kasam has also has been my all time favourite.



Anand Bakshi sahab's lyrics flow like a natural spring of water and touch deeply. Specially the lyrics of this song seem to tell us the reality of life so very subtly yet clearly. Thanks to Rahul Deodhar for attempting to translating the song for its meaning. Indeed, the destinations that we leave behind in our journey of life do not come back ever! Time may not permit us to revisit them. The lesson I learn from this song is, now is the time, present is only real, therefore enjoy every bit of it to the brim of positivity, spread cheer to the possible extent; life is too short for our ego trips. :)



--- 6 ---

A good news is with respect to the stone pot I referred to in my volume 2 of quick takes, I found them selling in India. Was browsing through July issue of Good Housekeeping (India) and found the Nirlep advertisement for their clay pots, the Bhoomi range of nonstick cookware. Not just this, also chanced across the ethnic motif design story by Vishnupriya Kaulgud on Béhance, interesting! Now I have plans...... ;) may be this Diwali!!


--- 7 ---


Ah well! The week has been a witness to the proceedings nothing less than a comedy of errors, nonetheless, all is well that ends well. I felt like I was living in a circus. But the fabric that runs through our circus is the feeling that "Circus stay together!" Love the circus bunch in Madagascar 3. Must admit, I have refreshed my memory of some very simple yet profound things in life through these animal hibbie jibbies.

Madagascar 3: Europe's most wanted


Singing off for another happy weekend, only to begin yet another happy week.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone