Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 11)


--- 1 ---

This week has been a roller coaster ride of good, bad and the busy feelings at work. Home has complemented with comfort and care. Post rains, my small garden is blooming. I could click some good pictures too.





--- 2 ---

Act of Random Kindness

We all face difficult situations every now and then; caused by someone, unfortunately having unpleasant feelings towards us, whatever may be the reason. It makes us think, why, when we are not causing any harm to them or to their kin, are they so rude and unkind to us. This week has bestowed upon me an opportunity to experience someone's unkind attitude towards me. Yes, bestowed, I am saying because, the incident provoked me to think. Initially I was very agitated, restless and angry also. I must mention here that I have started to feel that my intuitive power has really picked up over the past few years. I have been feeling very uncomfortable for two days before this incident happened. When I figured out the reason, I was very annoyed for the injustice done to me. It took me one complete day to calm down, think and regain my composure. Once the mind calms down, then only we can think of a proper strategy to tackle the problem or address the issue in an effective manner. I remembered the movie Evan Almighty and the "Act of Random Kindness - ARK". Not just this concept but also the fact that we should pray for strength and endurance from God to address our problems; and not pray for removal of the problem.



This time I prayed like this little boy. I prayed God to grant kindness to them who have hurt me; to grant strength to me to make them see what is right; to grant wisdom to them to take correct steps. Let's see how it works :)



--- 3 ---

An unexpected guest

Middle of the week, one night, we had an unexpected guest. We were watching the TV and were yet to have dinner. Our neighbour brought in this totally unexpected but most adorable guest (I suppose). He was such a delight! So small was he that he was barely able to walk on our smooth floor. Tip toeing from one chair to another, and under the table, he was a riot! After inspecting our home, we offered food/drink to him. Looks like he liked it all. Satisfactorily, he then fell asleep. We just could not stop ourselves from cooing, musing and wondering at his charm! Any guesses, who was he?

O mister! May I sleep in your home tonight?
Yes, he as an absolute delight! Well, our routine does not permit us to the luxury of keeping him with us. Therefore, the guest had to leave. But those couple of hours brightened our entire week :)



--- 4 ---

This week's recipe

The humble curry leaves in my small garden
Last week we talked about sesame seeds. This week I have fresh curry leaves for you! As I said, my garden is blooming. Curry leaves are very popular herb in India, specially in southern states, so much so that they form an integral part of traditional cooking. South Indians consider many dishes incomplete without the tempering of curry leaves. They are added to almost all foods like curries, stews, soups, dals, upma, poha, rice based dishes etc. and many more. They are called as "karivepakulu" in Telugu and known as "kadi patta" or "meetha neem" in Hindi. I am told they provide huge health benefits, specially for diabetics; for curing diarrhoea; for strengthening hair roots and preventing premature hair greying; cholesterol control; better eye sight; liver health, etc. Apart from tempering, we are huge fans of "karivepaku karam podi" prepared in Andhra. This is a powder made by roasting the curry leaves and mixing a few kinds of dals and seasoning. The recipe for preparing "karivepaku karam podi" can found on Sailu's food blog. For those who would like to see the video, this youtube video is a nice demonstration, step by step. This powder can be liberally used for finishing curries, with idli, dosa, upma and even on buttered bread toast. The Andhrites generally find it best with steamed rice and a dollop of clarified butter.



--- 5 ---

This week's book

This week I am back with "The Dalai Lama's Cat" by David Michie. Finally I resolved to read it on Saturday. What a wonderful narrative it is!! I can say it was really "unputdownable" for me. Though it is a novel, the author has very lucidly sprinkled the entire work with simple yet profound truths of life. Although they are Buddhist teachings, I will not limit them to that religion. They are universally applicable and practicable. The language is simple and the narrative, I must say, has grabbed me and strapped me to my reading chair throughout the day. Finally I finished it by night. I felt reassured of whatever I have been reading about peace of mind, calmness, mindfulness, meditation etc. I am recommending this book to everyone. Not limiting it to any age group.




--- 6 ---

This week's song

I received a request from one of my known faculties for copy of a book chapter. The faculty is researching on music and consciousness. The book is "Music and Consciousness: Philosophical, Psychological, and Cultural Perspectives" edited by Prof. David I. Clarke of New Castle University. As I checked for the details I myself got interested in the content of the chapter. The chapter is "North Indian classical music and its links with consciousness: the case of Dhrupad". Dhrupad is known to cultivate deep meditative states in us. And Gundecha Brothers from Bhopal are very popular for this style of North Indian Classical Music. It has been a very informative and interesting experience scouting this chapter. I remembered that Ramakrishna Aaratrikam, the evening hymn/prayer sung at the Ramakrishna Math or Belur Math is performed in Dhrupad style. As a child I used to listen to it when my uncle used to take me to Ramakrishna Math in Hyderabad. I enjoyed the divine rendition and peacefulness of the place. The task of searching for the book chapter gave me an opportunity to re-listen to the prayer again. It basically praises the glory of Lord Shiva. 




The tabla rendition is out of this world! The entire prayer itself is truly divine and instantly transcends us higher!! I hope you will enjoy too.



--- 7 ---

A new section on Friday Quick Takes

As we all grow, through various stages, right from childhood onward, we gather several different experiences. Based on which we form opinions and take decisions. I often share most of my experiences of childhood with my daughter and also with my husband. When they saw that I have good numbers of them to narrate to them, they suggested that I document them. Not a bad idea! Most of them are funny and have a moral too. After mulling for a while, I have intended to include them as a part of my Friday Quick Takes, one each at a time. We will start with this new section, hopefully from next week.

Have a great weekend and stay tuned :)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone