Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 13)


--- 1 ---

Hello and sorry that I took an unexpected break last Friday. Though I wanted to write, I could not pull myself up to do so. Last two weeks have again been very very hectic, and to some extent eventful too, personally, professionally and officially. The thought of taking a break from all the activities has been constantly pestering my mind. Rains also lashed in the previous couple of weeks.


--- 2 ---

"Never let 'em see you sweat. Guests feel guilty if they think you've worked too hard to make dinner for them - which of course you have!" -- Ina Garten 

It was a guest-ful weekend followed by a guest-full work week. :)
It has been lovely to have my close ones in the weekend at home. I also did the last quick takes in their honour! The following work week gave me an opportunity to host my professional friends royally! Enjoyed professionally good brain storming sessions for three full days and also enjoyed treating them to Rajasthani delicacies and intricacies in the evenings. So glad that all my guests enjoyed shopping and food at Jodhpur. Not but not least, I must thank my humble small team at home and at my office. Love you guys!



--- 3 ---


Important events in  two weeks


My daughter, after reading "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" by Joseph Murphy started really believing in the power of her subconscious mind it seems. She told us that her goal in the first trimester of her grade XII is to become the "Head Girl" of her school. Since we already were aware of the problems she has been facing with girls of her class and their jealousy issues, we presumed that she may not be able to fulfill her dream of becoming the head girl. Much to our dismay not only did she win the adulation of all her teachers and the school authorities but she was also chosen as the school head girl unanimously. She says she could achieve this as result of her reading Joseph Murphy and she believes too. As a mother I will only pray - may she keep believing the power of her subconscious mind always and dream to achieve great heights. Amen!




Raksha bandhan or Rakhi, a festival of brothers & sisters, celebrated in India. Last year my little (but not so little) brother was at my place for Rakhi. This year I missed him very much. Well, one good thing happened after moving into our present accommodation is my husband got a sister :) Our house owner's wife introduced my husband to this tradition. He does not have a real sister, so never really enjoyed the festival too. For a couple of years he is enjoying this festival as he also gets a Rakhi tied on his wrist now. Glad that he is understanding the small joys of life, though late.





--- 4 ---


My mom & the little white kitten


We lived in the city of Warangal in the state of Andhra Pradesh at the time when I was just one or two years old. My dad, a telecom engineer was posted there with the microwave department. I remember very well that we had a two room and a kitchen accommodation, which was a part of a few more quarters adjacent to each other, overlooking a small water body. While my mom used to work in the kitchen which had a door that opens into the backyard overlooking the water body, I used to romp around and check upon our good neighbours. Those days a cat used to frequent the surroundings and my mom used to feed her with milk and food. In a few days she brought in her small kitten and started residing on our roof top. The kitten started coming down to our kitchen, first with its mother and then started venturing out alone. I was amused and miffed with it. It was white in colour, very beautiful and soft. It allowed me to play with and ruffle it. One fine day I wonder what prevailed on me, while the kitten was relishing its regular bowl of milk at the back door of our kitchen, I caught its tail and pulled it away from the milk bowl. Not stopping there I swirled it around holding its tail and threw it away with all my might. This stupid act of mine was totally unexpected for the poor little kitten and more so for my mother. From a barely two year old kid such a mischief was not at all expected. The kitten landed its fateful flight just near the water body. My mom was red in her face. As per my observation my mom, when upset with anyone, would never resort to any harsh action but would herself weep her heart out. So no question of getting beaten up by her. With tears welled up in her eyes, she simply shut me out of our house. After knocking the door for some time, I started weeping that caught our neighbours' attention. Being the only small kid in the entire complex, everyone would take me home, cuddle and offer sweetmeats. Likewise, at that time also one of them came and took me home and comforted me. I got lost in eating and chatting. Only when my mom reconciled after some time and came looking around for me, did I realize that I wanted to hug my mom tight and fall asleep. Miss you mom!




--- 5 ---

This week's recipe

This week's recipe is in the honour of my guests who relished the authentic Marwari delicacies. Residing in Marwar region of Rajasthan is some times a blessing for health reasons. This dry and over heated climate aids in increasing resistance to many seasonal and vector borne infections.


Daal-baati-churma is one of the famous dishes of this region. Though I have never myself ventured into cooking this one, I relish eating it at Gypsy. For those of you interested in its cooking procedure, here we are from Tarla Dalal's. The simple yet tasty lentils leave you only wanting for more. The thali at Gypsy also serves other Marwari delicacies like gatte-ki-subzi, papad choori, marwari kadhi, sogra, mirchi-ki-launji, lahsun chatni etc.





--- 6 ---

This week's article

"23 Signs You're Secretly An Introvert" by Carolyn Gregoire in The Huffington Post caught my attention when one of my Facebook friends posted it. Many times I have seen people commenting adversely on being an introvert. What is wrong in being one? I am an introvert and a typical one. What is wrong in being wanting to be alone and self-contented? Why do we always need to be grinning from ear to ear and hip-hop around in a group? Well, my piece of observation is nobody is born introvert; it is the surroundings and the emotional quotient of a person that make him an introvert or an extrovert. Besides, no one can be either 100% introvert or 100% extrovert. Generally it is a combination of the both the qualities unless the person is suffering from depression or some kind of neuro-psychological disorder that needs to be clinically treated. The "symptoms" described in this article, each one rhymes with me, especially when people call me "too intense a thinker". The punchline is I am in relationship with a typical extrovert!!





--- 7 ---


This week's media clip

Mr. Popper's Penguins, a must watch! I vouch for it. This week I chose this movie as my stress buster. Do not know how many times I must have watched over and over. The movie has a subtle message of giving importance to your family and have family values.






Wishing you a very happy weekend and stay tuned :)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone