Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol 03/2015)

Hello there. Strange that no body pointed out to me that I was writing a wrong volume number in my Friday Quick Takes, since beginning in this year! Well I have corrected them now, but what a nice way to know if people are serious about what I write and do they really take time to read!!

Courtesy: Google Images


Now is the time to say "NO"!

Courtesy: Google Images
Have been in conflict with myself, over and over again, do not remember, for the past many many years. Do I blame the brought up or culture, my nature or my talent? I have never learnt to say "no" to anything that people ask me for. There may be many people out there who suffer my plight.

"Live your life for you not for anyone else. Don’t let the fear of being judged, rejected or disliked stop you from being yourself " (Sonya Parker).

Isn't it true? I ask myself. I have been brought up with the understanding that if I say "no" to people, I am being selfish. As I grew, I started understanding that it is not so; saying "no" is not being selfish; rather it is just that I should not let myself to be the sacrificial lamb every time, while the others make merry at my cost. Until I started to learn to say "no", when I retract my past, I realize that I have not only put myself at stake but I have also jeopardized my health; only to realize, all of it was not worth at all. When I said "yes" for the task I wanted to say "no", my body and mind both rushed into a fight or flight mode, only to leave me feeling guilty and annoyed with myself for a long time. I never learnt to love myself, for what I am, for the way I am, for who I am. Now, I sort of, started to realize the importance of loving myself. Slowly, but surely, I have started to implement some changes like stopped taking calls from people who call me at their convenience or when fear or terror strikes them or when they feel they are losing control over me. I have started to give myself the much needed space and time; and to my astonishment, I am liking it and wanting to have more. I've acknowledged that I cannot accommodate everybody's requests and I cannot please everyone, how much ever I try to. As I gradually implement the changes, I understand that my body and mind are at peace from within and also with each other, allowing me to feel healthy, and being the master of my self and life. With this increases my self confidence as well. I feel the assertion that I am the boss as opposed to my earlier version of allowing myself to be trampled by anyone and everyone. I'm loving it!



The "green finger" itch

So finally I cleaned and pruned my small garden. The roses have started to bloom and I plan to post the pictures in the following posts. Successfully planted some herbs. Holy basil, curry leaves and fenugreek to start with. The fenugreek has started to shoot. As the climate gradually transforms from chilly winters to warm summers through the pleasant spring, I plan to have a sit-out under the green shade in my small garden. Perhaps I can have a calm weekend reading spot. Well, Lucy will love that too.
Here comes spring...

Saturday, the 24 of January marks the setting in of the spring. Basant or Vasant Panchmi, celebrated as the spring festival in India, is colour coded with yellow, the colour of this season when the plants grow and flowers bloom. For me, I think I have put a fullstop to those things that bother me, make me feel guilty, resent and remorse to myself, with the holy fire of Bhogi and Makar Sankranti; now is the time for me to start afresh with Basant. It is "Bas-ant", the end and "Basant", a new beginning, with a prayer to Almighty God and the Godess Saraswati, the deity of learning to bestow me with happiness and usefulness in whatever work I do, utilizing my capabilities to the fullest extent, without hurting myself in any manner....... Shubh Basant!!

Courtesy: Google Images


Food for Thought

I consider myself very fortunate to have had an opportunity to hear Dr. Chitra Madhavan eloquently speak about the development of temple architecture in India. Absolutely loved the way she explained about the evolving temple structures in India, I honestly felt the time was too short. Such an enthusiast she is and the kind of insight she gave into the styles of temple architecture and various temples, small and big, rich and not-so-rich, that India is dotted with, aroused a strong interest in me to undertake visits to some places atleast. Dr. Chitra, I learnt, undertakes temple walks for the interested groups of people. My father tells me that our ancestors traveled up from Sri Rangam and settled down in towns of coastal Andhra Pradesh. I have always wanted to know more about my roots. When I mentioned to her that I wish to visit Sri Ranganathar Temple, she, so affectionately offered to take me to the place, that I resolved in my mind to definitely undertake the visit in near future. What an absolute delight it would be to walk with such a brilliant historian-story-teller and immerse yourself in the glory of past!



Spring pilaf

I am going to prepare Basanti Pulao for tomorrow's Basant Panchmi. It will be my style, customized version with diced carrots, peas, cloves, pepper corns, green chillies, raisins and cashew nuts. Cucumber raita (yogurt) will be the accompanying dish.

Basanti Pulao
Courtesy: Google Images

Have a wonderful weekend and stay tuned!



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone