Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol 04/2015)


The week started with 66th Republic Day. The much awaited day when the US President graced the occasion as the chief guest and Indian women soldiers marched down Rajpath leading way; followed by Mann ki baat by Obama and Modi on the All India Radio. Well, we too celebrated the 66th Republic Day, at office and also at the residential campus of our Institute. The celebration at our residential campus was in the form of a cultural program. I was a part of it by way of compering the program and also singing a couple of songs. Though it was a bit tiresome, I'm glad I did. Sometimes it is nice to tread off from routine and do something else. Ofcourse, the chilly winter weather did impact me, nevertheless, I bounced back soon. What I liked the most is the exhibition put up by our students, of their pictures and paintings, showcasing their skills in art. I totally loved it. And, I must appreciate the students for their musical skills too. What orchestral support!! I'm sure, with some dedicated time for practice, we will definitely do wonders when they play along.



Sometimes you just need MAMA!

The other day Minty posted a pic of a mother and kid giraffe. Guess, she was feeling home sick.


I remember last year, two of us framing this picture together. I found it in Good Housekeeping magazine. It said this picture appeared as a cover picture several years ago. I fondly cut it and we framed it. Every time I see this picture, a lips automatically animate into a smile. I am reminded of that little Minty for whom I used to choose and pick so many dresses, sweaters and pullovers in colour and design. Many times I used to have an argument with my husband for choosing the same attire in two different colours, as if I am buying for twins. This Basant Panchami, I missed my hunny bunny (this is what I call her lovingly) a lot, for we used to clean and deck up the house together, for the past so many years. All I could do was do the decoration and lighting and click pictures to share with her. Some times I think, how would it have been if I had an opportunity to do all these things together with my mama. All I remember is she was a wonderful person, well read and an absolute nightingale. I may have inherited some of her traits and talents, but not her gentleness perhaps; she was way too gentle. I often come across this line - God created mothers because he cannot be everywhere. I guess, God thinks He can make Himself available for some kids who he thinks are either naughty or too nice! So, what am I? Naughty or too nice? ;)




Green shoots and full blooms..... what a serenity and joy!

As mentioned in the previous post, here are the fenugreek shoots and holy basil.


Fenugreek shoots

Holy Basil
Not to forget the red and pink roses!!


Somehow I feel immensely happy when I see plants, flowers, fruits and vegetables. Love nature and nature certainly loves you back.



Lucy gets friends


Saw this infographic on FB. Cannot agree more. Lucy keeps waiting for me to get home, feed, comfort her and also play with her. The moment she notices that I am trying to sit and relax, she's bored. I thought now that got some friends, though other-than-doggie friends, she will amuse herself. It turned out that she does not identify the existence of fish in aquarium and just brushes past the tank. And, she is annoyed with the parrot for he keeps calling and is also jealous of him when we talk to him. Lucy not only literally jumped upon me and pushed me away from the parrot but also pulled me in to make it loud and clear that my attention and affection is reserved only for her!! As I am writing this post, I'm sure my little tailwagger must be pacing back and forth, up and down for my arrival. What would it have been like if she could talk?



"In the abode of joy and benevolence lies the beautiful truth"

For the first time I heard "Anando loke mongola loke birajo sotto sundaro" penned by Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore in the cultural programme that I mentioned above. Its a prayer song but absolutely out of this world! I read some parts of Gitanjali. I do not know if this is from that phenomenal work but the meaning is absolutely divine. I am only reproducing the meaning of the song that got from here. It also has the lyrics of this song.

In the abode of joy and benevolence lies the beautiful truth
Your glory shines across the vast sky
The universe ornaments your feet.
Stars and planets, moon and the sun rush out ecstatically
To drink at, to wash under the pouring grace, infinitely
Unleashing founts upon the earth. The enchanting beauty all around
Receiving you with songs offering leafy, floral greetings – aromatic.
Life flows night and day, in ever-new streams
Bestowed by your tireless blessings in life, in death.
Hearts soften by affection, love, mercy and devotion
Wiping away the heat of distress, showering sympathy
In a grand festivity the world greets Thee
In prosperity, deep adoration and in complete submission.

Here is the version rendered by Ruma Guha that I found on YouTube.





Value of poor man's bread

Millets are topping my list of recipes these days. This week the bajra roti (pearl millet flour bread) was on high and still continuing. I must admit that it made a difference to not only my digestive system but also on the whole I feel good. I read that bajra is a good source of energy, promotes heart health, helps digestion and helps control blood sugar, etc. Back to good old traditional food!!


Hope to come back with some interesting everyday snippets next week!



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone