Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 4)


--- 1 ---
The week started with the season's first rain. Bliss! Weather turned lovely and temps have come down. At last, the rain Gods are pleased with us!


 

I could manage to click it rain this morning. The trees look as if they are enjoying the shower. I feel I am breathing free looking at their freshness.

--- 2 ---
Looking at the weather, I felt like having some onion fritters. This is the time to snuggle with a good book, some fritters and hot coffee. I am also reminded of Minty's tryst with green gram pancakes and vegetable sandwiches.

Green gram pancakes
Veggie sandwiches

Filling used for the sandwiches

One on top extreme left are the green gram pancakes. She is now an expert and makes these pancakes often. I'll request her to post the recipe on her blog. The other ones are the sandwiches with the filling shown here in the frying pan. She used diced carrots, steamed peas and grated cottage cheese with some seasoning. The sandwiches too turned out to be delicious.

As a starter, she managed to cook well...... a potentially good cook in making :-)

--- 3 ---
I love reading magazines, specially that deal with home, improvement, organizing, small spaces, interiors, gardening etc. Good Housekeeping is one such magazine I love reading every month. Each new issue has something to give away as a quick tip. For the past few months I could not find enough time to go to the news stall to collect my issue. Surprisingly I found a site that lets you download your favourite magazines in pdf format. Though I am not a great fan of e-reading, yet, I find this site interesting. Well, the download could be large and would take away a lot of your time.

--- 4 ---

"Silence speaks louder than words"

Agreed. We were doing some creative work and came up with some good designs. I felt the designs were decent, not at all loud and the colours used were very elegant, serene enough for the occasion. Yet, the chair wanted mute colours and theme. When we were told "Silence speaks louder than words", I chose to remain silent instead of expressing my thoughts. I guess I am right in my own way. By choosing to be silent, I gave myself the advantage of remaining physically and mentally healthy.

--- 5 ---

Last night while switching channels, we stumbled upon Chip n Dale on Disney. I know the very mention of the name itself sets instantaneous laughter riots :)


Love these chipmunks and their antagonism towards Pluto and Donald Duck, and their twitter sounds too. So very grateful to Walt Disney for creating such wonderful stress busters. We laughed and laughed so loudly and until our tummies ached hard. As a result, we had a very good night's sleep.

--- 6 ---
Oodles of doodles

I have the habit of doodling while speaking over phone. Specially while in office. Almost all of my scribbling pads are filled with so many graphics, mostly spontaneous creative graffiti, curved lines, leaves, floral patterns, sometimes mountains, house on a river bank, trees and flowing water etc. Today I thought of googling for information on this habit of doodling while speaking over phone. Interestingly, the Wikipedia says, doodling effects a person's memory. It documents, "According to a study published in the scientific journal Applied Cognitive Psychology, doodling can aid a person's memory by expending just enough energy to keep one from daydreaming, which demands a lot of the brain's processing power, as well as from not paying attention. Thus, it acts as a mediator between the spectrum of thinking too much or thinking too little and helps focus on the current situation. The study was done by Professor Jackie Andrade, of the School of Psychology at the University of Plymouth, who reported that doodlers in her experiment recalled 7.5 pieces of information (out of 16 total) on average, 29% more than the average of 5.8 recalled by the control group made of non-doodlers."

Some say that the handwriting experts believe that doodles may reveal the subconscious thoughts, hidden emotions and secret desires of the doodler. Probably my doodles will tell me what I think?

--- 7 ---
Father's Day

Father's day is here, to be celebrated on 16th June. Wishing everyone out there a very happy father's day..... fathers, grand fathers and their grand children, fathers-to-be, fathers-in-law, daughter and sons, daughters and sons-in-law. Remembering the greatest father of all, the Almighty Lord, who has infinite kinds of children, yet he never tires of fulfilling each one's wish, sometime or the other, walking along with them all times and carrying them in HIS hands in their trouble times. Yet, we innocent and ignorant children question HIM, why did you leave me, why do I see only one set of footprints? Where were you in my troubles? We know very well that the one set of foot prints are HIS and not ours, yet we forget and ask HIM. That is why HE is father and we are children!


Have a great weekend. See you next week!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone