Skip to main content

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 6)


--- 1 ---

This week had been just a "plain vanilla" week. Nothing much happened. Will be travelling out of station this Friday, so preparing and posting the quick takes a day earlier.

Since many days my daughter has been asking me to plan a trip to Ahmedabad. This place is like my second home. My uncle, aunt and brother live there. Myself and my daughter are also fortunate to have good friends there. Somehow I have taken a liking to the place and my family also loves spending time there. Last summer my daughter took a certificate course in French language from the Ahmedabad branch of Alliance Francaise, which she completed successfully. So now to collect her certificate we have planned a weekend trip. Looking forward to a good time there!

--- 2 ---
Illusions and delusions

Came across this interesting post "How your habits become productivity-draining distractions" on a group that I follow on Facebook. The post starts with an optical illusion called the Lilac Chaser, where, when we concentrate our vision on the black cross, the running dots encircling the cross seem to completely disappear; and they promptly return with our slightest distraction. The discussion in the post leads us to getting unplugged from this wired world. So true! We are surrounded by a variety of gadgets, all connecting us to the digital world. We have become so obsessed that we cannot imagine even a single minute without them. Could not agree more with what the post has rephrased Emerson as: "It's easy to unplug when one is off in the woods, but great is he who in the midst of his technology, keeps the independence of unplugging." An eye opener indeed. I am thinking of spending one day in a week (perhaps Sunday?) totally unplugged. I hope it will not join the stream of unfulfilled resolutions.


--- 3 ---
Happy relocation friend!

One of my very good friends in the US is moving and relocating nearer to his family. We got in touch seven years ago (in 2006) while I was working in the university system, through a forum for Theological Librarianship. What wonderful guy he is! He is one good friend I will always cherish. As he starts his new job, I am sure, we will have more things to share, laugh and learn. Wishing him a very happy relocation, luck and best times in his new job, new life!


--- 4 ---
New savoury found!

Sharmi's Passions posted a new savoury preparation that attracted me to trying it out myself. Oats Crackers - looks like a totally healthy version of something yummy to satiate my in-between hunger pangs. Oats are known to be health benefactors for all age groups. I have been trying out several recipes with oats. This one seems to a little different. One of my cousins is a huge fan of oats, so much so that she practically lived only them to reduce. This reminds me to share this recipe with her.

--- 5 ---
This week's song

O re pakhi....... from Khoya Khoya Chand. This film has not been a commercial success though. The songs are good. Music by Shantanu Moitra and lyrics penned by Swanand Kirkire, the movie reminded me of the olden days, Guru Dutt's movies. Well, Sonu and Shreya have been very very versatile in their rendition. I am also reminded of the time when we lived in Pune while my husband was served the most coveted Film & TV Institute of India (FTII) in the media field. Memories of old Prabhat studios, the passion of film lovers, the Saturday screenings of film lovers club at National Film Archives of India (NFAI), just across the lane. What beautiful time! It never struck me back then, but now I feel I should take the Film Appreciation course conducted by NFAI-FTII. I have been so immersed in higher education, research, science & technology areas for the past fifteen odd years that when I think of my Pune times I wonder what a different world it was! Different, yet, ever-attractive and wonderful!




Well, I hope you'll enjoy Sonu Nigam in this song.

--- 6 ---

“There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” - Nelson Mandela

These words caught my attention. I am suddenly reminded of a person who used to say we should not do any such work or service that extracts less of our skills. If we are capable to performing better, thinking better for an improved or an enhanced contribution, we should never settle for less even though we may presently not see an opportunity to contribute. We will surely be given a suitable opportunity at the right time. It is in us to identify, acknowledge, receive and utilize it to its brim. This week's debates and discussions at home concluded by acknowledging the above words.

A young friend of mine writes about "experience" in her blog. She quotes Albert Einstein "the only source of knowledge is experience" and discusses various facets of experience. Appreciate her eloquent expression. My take on experience is the length of experience may not matter really. What matters is whether or not we have derived something from it. What matters is whether or not we could put that experience to any betterment in our lives. If the only source of knowledge is experience, and Albert Einstein is right, then we should also acknowledge that the only method of helping ourselves through situations is by putting that knowledge to work….. i.e., turn it into wisdom, to discriminate our thoughts and actions so that we can make our lives more meaningful and worth living.

--- 7 ---
Himalayan Tsunami

Nature has once again roared its fury. The Himalayan Tsunami in Uttarakhand has been an unprecedented unfortunate "national calamity", the cloudbursts again. Hundreds of lives lost and thousands lost and stranded! News reports state that the met-man's warnings haven't been taken seriously. We have not taken many warnings seriously. We have been clearing forests and building concrete jungles mindlessly. Necessity and perhaps our greed (powered by our necessities and wants) to some extent have driven us to this extent. However, it is our own people who have suffered. I thank God that our house owner had a narrow escape. He, along with his group members went to Vaishno Devi, Amarnath during this time. Glad that he returned just the day before this calamity struck. Efforts are on to rescue the people and help the affected. Indian Army deserves applause and kudos yet again. Prayers are being said for the departed souls and for the stranded souls. Hope we will come out it soon.


Wishing you all a happy weekend to begin yet another eventful week.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The resilient and agile librarian

He said he is leaving. I had no time to react. I was supposed to go online to start my lecture in the next few minutes. Before that I had to give finishing touches to my notes too. Already I was running late in preparing for the lecture. These days everything is at the eleventh hour. Having a work-life balance is a forgotten concept. No complaints whatsoever. Interestingly, the topic of my lecture for the day is about resilience and agility for librarians. What a stark contrast of situations! Sigh! I did not say a word. Silently I did my part of formalities. I sat at my desk and opened my slides and notes. Mechanically I ran through the slides. Words in my notes were dancing before my eyes. His words were ringing in my ears. It was getting difficult for me to concentrate. I closed my eyes tightly, took a deep breath, and reprimanded myself – “nobody is indispensable”; remember? This is what the Head of the Division said to my Reporting Officer when my contract got over in my very fir

Kshema'a 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 10)

--- 1 --- Here I am this is me  There's no where else on Earth I'd rather be  Here I am it's just me and you  And tonight we make our dreams come true  It's a new world it's a new start  It's alive with the beating of young hearts  It's a new day it 's a new plan  I've been waiting for you  Here I am [Courtesy: Brian Adams]  Yes, yes.... new academic session begins and every student whether new or returning will sing these words to his course of studies. The campus is already bright with freshman and the gleaming sophomores, juniors and seniors. The transformation in their feelings and attitudes as the freshman gradually climbs the ladder to a sophomore and so on, is interesting to observe. The freshman batch is mostly enthused and a bit more self disciplined in their dressing and demeanor. As they enter the next two levels, there is an air of reluctance. While in the graduating year there appears a mutual feeling of attachment between the

Kshema's 7 Quick Takes Friday (Volume 2)

--- 1 --- This week has been a busy one. Looking forward to a busier week ahead :) The mercury has risen beyond 47C. Praying the rain Gods to shower mercy! --- 2 --- Our journey from denial to accomplishment. This picture defines my journey of blogging, I suppose :) Ever since I discovered the blogging activity, the different tools and techniques available to make the blog posts interesting, I have climbed each of these steps. Don't they appear to be relevant to most of our life activities where we encounter difficulty? Be it doing a project, undertaking a job, clearing an examination, specially when we are not willing to do something but are compelled to do........ or ........ sometimes even overcoming our fears! --- 3 --- Came across an interesting post on one of the food blogs ( Dr. Saila's ) I follow. The blogger, Dr. Saila, describes the benefits of using a "Stone Pot" for cooking. Here I borrowed the picture she posted. Stone